Spirit - Retreat - Pilgrimage - Life

For fullness of life, we need fullness of Spirit, to refresh our spirit we need to take time to focus. We can do this in person in places that speak to our inner most being, we can also experience spirit where we are. Our goal at Umbrian Spirit is offer retreats that we have established, we can also design retreats/pilgrimages to Umbria to suit specific groups, or if your need is to stay closer to home, please utilize our blogs as a gift of virtual retreat.
--
An Interlude in Umbria - Transformational Spiritual Retreat featuring Two Weeks: Immersion in an Umbria Comune and Walking in Francis' Footsteps. Cost 1,400 Euros per week includes all meals, lodging and retreat activities.
--

If you would like to arrange a special retreat or pilgrimage for your group, we would be glad to plan with you.

Contact us through: hipriestesss@hotmail.com or umbrianspirit@hotmail.com

Our preferred accommodations for retreats and those utilized for Immersion Retreat & St. Francis' Steps: http://www.anticavetreria.net/







Friday, January 7, 2011

Life in View of the Village Tower


The tower stands boldy at the center of the village, welcoming the community home.
There is a quote/saying that a friend tripped about trying to explain to me of the importance of living life within the sounds/site of the village tower in Umbria, Italy.  Explaining that there is a depth of meaning to living one's life being able to hear the sounds of the tower bell, and to view the clock - to be connected to the heart of town.  This actually does sound incredibly wonderful, to have such a connection to place and the people that share that place with you.
Myself, I have lived in over 30 houses/apartments/dwelling places in my life, moving from place to place with some amazing well honed packing skills.  At a certain point in my life I felt I wast forever seeking "home" and at a certain point I figured there may not be such a place for me.  But the sweetness of the concept has never left the back of my mind, and the thought of their being a very strong cultural saying regarding the importance of the tower certainly struck me.
It was fun hearing the saying long after I returned from my journey, for my companion had no idea that I had taken so many photos of the various towers in the various towns we passed through.  But when the concept of tower came up, it led me to ideas for two very different types of postings, this one on the importance of community, and a second to follow on the uniqueness of communities in Umbria, a geographically small area.
In Piegaro my heart was really stirred by the importance of the tower my last night there, Wednesday evening.  As we had gone back to the apartment to settle in for the evening I received a call from a congregation member in need of a listening ear, and so decided to step out for some privacy and just walk the streets while in conversation.  It was a beautiful night after a day of thunderstorms, lightening and rain that had kept many of us indoors and having fun at the caffe during the day.  The air was fresh with the moisture of the day, yet warm and comfortable, it felt good to walk and talk around the old part of the village, circling around even to some little streets I hadn't been on before.  I was very aware of the tower and it's clock listening to the chimes on the half hours and seeming to keep me company on a quiet night.  The people in the village had all gone in by this time and I could hear from the homes of the village the sounds of t.v. and conversations, all winding down at the end of their day.
When I returned to the apartment, it was my friend's turn to be on a personal call, so I went out again, circling the town, slowly walking the streets.  I took a few photos of some of the art that graced the exterior of some of the walls, and would look up when the clock struck an hour or half past again.  I would peek in occasionally to find my friend still being the long-distance love and caring for family from half a world away, and I kept walking.  Piegaro is a small town, so I walked many of the streets over and over multiple times, wondering who liked the drama, comedy or action that I could hear on the t.v.s - I was already missing this place so much and yet I could hear and feel the life that was being lived, and I could see and hear the clock in the tower.  Time moved so gracefully for moving so rapidly, I know I checked in repeatedly at the apartment and was out for a couple of hours, yet it was so soothing, I walked past the tower many times.
The tower, the last thing I could see of the town when we drove toward Rome the following day, the first thing I saw when we approached Piegaro just a few weeks before.  I remember wondering if the sweet bells that called us to worship came from the tower rather than the church that sat beside it, and now know that I forgot to ask.  The tower that when we were in town always reminded me of the time so there was no need to keep track on my own.  A beautiful thing the tower.
In our own neighborhood in Seattle our church tower has a bell, but due to neighbor's concerns it only rings on Sundays, just before worship.  From the inside of the church one can't hear it at all.  The other bells I hear are from the school informing the children when it is time to begin and end the day, and when to go in or out for recess.  Last week after hearing the lovely phrase about the tower the bells of the school went off for an emergency drill.  As I listened to the mournful cry of the emergency siren, not really a bell this time, I thought to myself, "now is just a test of the emergency system, or the real thing, is there an emergency?"  So, I prayed, I prayed that there was no emergency, but if there was, than it was a good time to give thanks for my incredible life, a gift from God, for all the blessings, adventures and magic along the way, and I thought of the tower.
What would it be like to live, live a life always within the sight and sound of an ever-present tower over the community?

A fun shot of Colleen searching for me the day we lost each other after the Processione, what a good place to find someone!

The community gathered in front of the church, next to the tower to begin the Processione di Miracole.

No comments:

Post a Comment