Spirit - Retreat - Pilgrimage - Life

For fullness of life, we need fullness of Spirit, to refresh our spirit we need to take time to focus. We can do this in person in places that speak to our inner most being, we can also experience spirit where we are. Our goal at Umbrian Spirit is offer retreats that we have established, we can also design retreats/pilgrimages to Umbria to suit specific groups, or if your need is to stay closer to home, please utilize our blogs as a gift of virtual retreat.
--
An Interlude in Umbria - Transformational Spiritual Retreat featuring Two Weeks: Immersion in an Umbria Comune and Walking in Francis' Footsteps. Cost 1,400 Euros per week includes all meals, lodging and retreat activities.
--

If you would like to arrange a special retreat or pilgrimage for your group, we would be glad to plan with you.

Contact us through: hipriestesss@hotmail.com or umbrianspirit@hotmail.com

Our preferred accommodations for retreats and those utilized for Immersion Retreat & St. Francis' Steps: http://www.anticavetreria.net/







Friday, January 7, 2011

World's Greatest Barrista??? Well, my favorite, Martin!


Martin - the glare of the glasses does not glow as much as his Spirit.
This girl is one tough customer, I often ask for the craziest things, but always enjoy a straight up yes or no to my request, please no mamby-pambing around.  So after being in Piegaro only a few days and realizing that Caffe Via Roma not only had great coffee, great customers, but a swell place for me to work on my computer during my "working vacation" I asked if I could hang out at the telephone stand and work.  It was optimal, the table at the perfect height, the wood floors that were easy on the legs, and constant life going on through the doorway at the bar.  Looking back I realize it was an odd sort of selfish request, but Martin said yes.
Martin is fabulous at hosting, serving and caring for the people who walk through the doors of Caffe Via Roma, whether family, workers in town, locals, Moravian expats or this crazy Americana, all are treated with courtesy and respect.   On the Caffe facebook he sums up his role at Via Roma perfectly, "l'importante che se ne parli..."- "it is important that we speak."  Martin sets the tone for the Caffe, where people come to speak and share their hearts.  Yet it is a place where being open and often emotional did not take away from the place, I felt in due to Martin's non-anxious presence.  For me it was a great place of calm in a world that often is so rushed, hurried and weary, and was soooooo appreciated.
The amusing part is that I relied on Martin often to translate with Maria or other folks in the Caffe, and he knows about as much English as I do Italian - but he was a great charades partner.  I would act out, say in Spanish, try to find synonyms that might be Latin in origin and he would respond, "Ahhhh..." and bring forth the correct word or phrase in Italian.  He is so helpful in opening up communication for myself and others in a gracious way.    The communication barrier became fun as we all tried to get to know one another.
In my joy of finding someone who could guide me a bit in communication, I'm sure I made things difficult for Martin in several ways.  The one day I was traveling through Umbria alone I ask for his opinion on the best way to travel to Todi that would be picturesque...then complained that I didn't want to take the Autostrada, as if I knew best.  As I left Todi I remembered the hurt in his eyes at my not taking his suggestion, so thus drove home the way he suggested.  Within a few kilometers the Tiber River (Tivere) opened before me, it took my breathe away with it's amazing beauty....so now I felt REALLY guilty, the man truly knows the most scenic drive to Todi!
In my weeks in Piegaro Martin was my workplace host, my friend and my "bodyguard"???  No, not really, but that was what one customer asked when referring to an incident when, quite unbeknown to myself, an unwanted suitor accompanied me to my home one day under false pretenses and Martin  simply came along, chaperoning.     As he explained to the customer, he was not my bodyguard, but a friend who was providing me a place of calm in which to be and work..... and I am so grateful.  Also grateful that the people in the town would talk so openly, even about me, while I was in listening range.  I liked that Martin would call the men who gave me unwanted attention, "Crazy" - not anything demeaning or hurtful but so true.  It is my theory that we are all crazy in our own ways and how we function together in our madness without hurting one another is the key to life.  The constant conversations at the Caffe encouraged by Martin was a way to bring together and hold so lovingly the people of Piegaro, a band of crazies, just as we need to gently hold together all people, all the crazy world.
One funny thing we had in common, always a thing I like to look for is common places, is wearing bracelets.  Someone in the caffe asked once what my "fruits of the spirit" bracelets were, basically my reminder to behave and it was fun to see a customer advise Martin how best to use his bracelets in the same manner.  It was a conversation they were having on behaviors when the gentleman reached across and snapped Martin's bracelet, as some folks do when wearing a rubber band to snap when they want to smoke.  It's a small world where can use accessories as reminders - so every now and then I shall snap a bracelet as I remember Martin.
I can't imagine Piegaro without a person like Martin, being host of the Caffe.  My friend Colleen has been visibly disappointed that Martin's partner, Arnica, is no longer running the Caffe, a person Colleen could rely on for English speaking company, which I know is so important to her.  But Martin's being a home boy, with family nearby always, seemed to be a great asset to me, as with other people I met he belonged to this place, he has history,  roots and connection to the people.  I loved how the community from young to old hung out in this special place with this special person.
Next year in Piegaro, when I speak Italiano I shall be able to ask Martin questions like, what did you do before working at the caffe, and do you love this work you are so amazingly good at?  Do you miss your old work?  Is it a comfort to have your family so close?  It was so cool to me how they were always around as my relatives live so far away.  How is the turning of the world's economy effecting your beautiful shop and community?


Martin with his dad, Rodolfo outside Bar Caffe Via Roma.


Sharing stories, books and beverages.

No comments:

Post a Comment