Spirit - Retreat - Pilgrimage - Life

For fullness of life, we need fullness of Spirit, to refresh our spirit we need to take time to focus. We can do this in person in places that speak to our inner most being, we can also experience spirit where we are. Our goal at Umbrian Spirit is offer retreats that we have established, we can also design retreats/pilgrimages to Umbria to suit specific groups, or if your need is to stay closer to home, please utilize our blogs as a gift of virtual retreat.
--
An Interlude in Umbria - Transformational Spiritual Retreat featuring Two Weeks: Immersion in an Umbria Comune and Walking in Francis' Footsteps. Cost 1,400 Euros per week includes all meals, lodging and retreat activities.
--

If you would like to arrange a special retreat or pilgrimage for your group, we would be glad to plan with you.

Contact us through: hipriestesss@hotmail.com or umbrianspirit@hotmail.com

Our preferred accommodations for retreats and those utilized for Immersion Retreat & St. Francis' Steps: http://www.anticavetreria.net/







Friday, January 7, 2011

Newest Facebook Friend - Gianni


Gianni welcoming all at the door of Caffe Via Roma
As I sorted through pictures of Piegaro I found the greatest irony in the picture of the young men of Caffe Via Roma, that is Gianni holding up my English/Italian translation book.  Gianni and I spoke multiple times in Piegaro, he in Italian me in English never really translating, or even trying.  We spoke as the circumstance dictated.  Laughing with the crowd about my crazy painting purchase of the "Guffo/Gatti" - or as he looked in on the group looking at the Art book for Magnum.  I think we totally got the gist of what one another was saying.  We were all laughing at the painting, with comments flying as we shared amusement over the dubbed "genetic catastrophe".  And when he didn't look as interested as the rest in the book, I asked him to look intelligent for the photo, which he did, now that takes intelligence!
As my newest Facebook friend I enjoyed the latest posting Gianni had of the Italian flag laid out as the worlds most important foods:  basil, garlic (or is it cheese - either top my list), and tomato.  One of the reasons I loved this post is that it so reminded me of my basic cooking lesson with Pasquelina Verdi - "Lisa es garlic, basil, e tomato - most important!" in her delightful broken English.  She encouraged me to go out into the field behind the home I rented from her and pick all the tomatoes, garlic and basil I needed, dinner was always at reach.  Just as I felt at home at Pasquelina's I felt at home in Piegaro with friends like Gianni and his gift to just be himself - Italian, proud of it but open to friendship with this crazy Americana.
Being authentic is a key to life that many of us struggle with.  We really want others to like us, and often become "posers" trying to be all that others want us to be.  Gianni is Gianni, spoke to me in his own language, posts his pride in country and food - such a fun way!!  I look forward to getting to know him better next year and know more about his beloved Italy, it's food, what it is to BE Italian for him.
Likewise, I think that is an essential question for us all at different parts of our own lives, to ask the questions of who we are, what is essential to me, how do I self identify and how do I live confidently in my own skin to take my authentic self out into God's world as I am fully created to be.

The boys - Gianni holding the book we never used to communicate - who needs translations?!?!

The Intelligencia at the Caffe Discussing Art.

No comments:

Post a Comment